Jan 20
Today we arrived at Allan’s Cay, one of the first islands that you can get to safely by boat that make up the exumas! It was a short trip; only 4 hours or so. We had to spend the first two keeping watch for coral heads, where there was a possibility of grounding the boat. However, what we couldn’t get over was it was 20 feet deep, and we could see the ripples on the sand. No fish though.
When we anchored, it was decided that we had to go swimming because it was really really hot out. However, all we saw were fish, fish, some seaweed, some sand, some HUGE whelks and conches, and one lonely stingray. Oh, and some more fish. But the water was warm- depending on who you talk to- and clear, so it wasn’t that bad. The day finished off with a great diner of turkey wings cooked in the solar oven, potatoes, and maybe some broccoli. And a very cool view of the sun setting behind the rocky islands.


Jan 21
When we saw the description, we couldn’t resist, so yesterday we went to explore the great and fearsome island of the iguanas. All seemed in order when we landed our dinghy, but as we stepped out and started dragging it up the beach, we were set upon by hordes of the little scaly things. Well, not horde as most people would describe, but 6 is close enough, right? In any case, it was more iguanas than we had ever seen at one place in time. In other words, a worthy subject for the classification of “horde’. 
So we stopped, admired them for a couple minutes, refused Devon’s suggestion of banging them with sticks- so original anyway- and continued on our way through the bush, all the while listening to the rustling of small, scaly lizards running either at us or away. We hoped it was the latter. I mean, a couple iguanas are nice and all, but when it starts getting into multiples of 5, it’s a bit discomforting. 
We made it to the other side of the island, or the beach, without further incident. So we decided it was a great place to stop for lunch, because trekking 3 minutes through the bushes really takes it out of you. While we were peacefully enjoying our sandwiches, we once again became the subject of iguana curiosity, if iguanas can in fact feel curious. But since we had yet to come to any bodily harm, we allowed the braver ones to climb on the camera case and bags.
 Yes, this was the smallest of them, so we were not that worried. However, it soon decided that feet were much more interesting than stationary bags, so it quickly (more like in short bursts of speed) made its way over to the nearest foot available; or in other words, my foot. Yet I was not worried, as it was a small lizard, and was content just to sit there.
 However, it soon caught the attention of one of the largest iguanas. It also promptly made its way over, because you know, feet are just that interesting. At first it was also content to just sit there and lick my toe, but as I gained confidence, it also decided it wanted to know what this strange new substance tasted like. In other words, it bit me. Let’s just say it ran away pretty quickly after that, and we decided that it was time to pack up and keep walking around the beach. We found some rocks that when banged on sounded hollow, some rocks- actually some of the first rocks to be seen on a beach since the beginning of Florida- and some bones. 
Now, since I think I have successfully bored you enough about iguanas, I shall move on to other scaly things, such as fish. Not much to tell except throughout the day, the wonderful mom succeeded on catching at least 9 fish, not counting the ones that we threw back. We also saw a shark early in the morning, however by the time I got in the water to try to take pictures, it had disappeared. It was a harmless shark, a nurse shark, so you don’t have to worry too much my dear grandparents. Your granddaughter is relatively intact- physically, anyway. 

Needless to say, we finished off the day with a great fish diner, and also a great sunset.  But I really shouldn’t have to mention the latter, because it’s the Bahamas, so you should have just come to assume by now that we always have a great sunset. However, if by some unworldly means, the sun refuses to set in a spectacular manner, we shall take a picture and inform you all on the great misdeed that has happened.

Jan 22
Today was a lousy day, mainly due to the lack of any sleep for most of the persons on the boat (I swear, Devon can sleep through just about anything), and the sucky weather. It was sunny, yes, but it was also 20-30 knot winds for the better part of the day, so it was rocky and windy and cold and howl-y.   Although the boat usually points into the wind....which is usually the same direction as the waves, the waves were wrapping around the island in front of us and hitting us from the side.  Very rude. 
  However, it died down to a manageable 10-15 knots in the afternoon, so after watching some very clueless French people- no, that was not supposed to be offensive to French people, I was merely stating our opinion of them after certain events transpired- try to (and manage to, for the part where we could see) leave the protected harbor into the wind, and waves, and most likely current. And their boat wasn’t even a very ocean going vessel; meaning it had an almost vertical bow, and flat bottom, so it rocked and smashed a lot. And the woman yelling “vite!” at the guy wasn’t helping matters much. 
Anyways, after we watched this, we decided to head over to the small island directly in front of us. It was pretty cool, as far as small islands go. It was limestone, and had been worn away by waves and spray for years, so it was pockmarked and holey and otherwise quite barren. All that claimed life was grass and a few stunted bushes. Still, it was pretty entertaining trying to keep your footing, or standing where the spray would, well, spray you. 



Parting Shot:
The dingy at sunset in 20 feet of calm water at our anchorage.